You did it! You finally bought the home you have always wanted. You are meeting the movers over at the house tomorrow morning, and the weather is going to be fabulous! You have already started switching utilities over, and you are working on changing your address. Change your address on everything.
As you are meeting the movers over at your new home, I also recommend having a professional do the following:
- Change the locks on your home. You don’t know who has the key for your home. You don’t know how many duplicate keys there are of your home. There are even home warranty companies that will change the locks for a fee.
- Change the code on the garage door opener. It may take a little time, but again, you don’t know how many people know the code of the garage door opener.
- If the home has a security system, contact the company. Determine if you want to maintain service or cancel. This also goes for any camera that is in the home.
- Change the air filter. Even if the sellers already changed it, its good to start fresh.
- Change the batteries in the smoke detectors. That way, you know the batteries are fresh, and you can better plan for when the batteries go out. Why is it that the batteries always go out at 3:00am?!? Like seriously.
- Change the toilet seat lids. Need I say more?
Are there other items you need to take care of as you adjust to living in your new home, of course! But, it’s your home, give yourself time to complete other items, and complete what you can from the list of six.
Congratulations! I can’t wait to see how you make this house into your home!