I recently went over to one of my clients’ houses, and I absolutely love how they chose to decorate their home. Then, as soon as I came home, I walked inside, looked at my furniture, and felt like something needed to change.
I did not really want to spend the money on new furniture, or paint, or accessories. However, I really wanted to change up the layout of the room. So, my husband and I discussed moving the furniture around. Somethings we immediately agreed on. Other things…. Not so much.
So, one day, my client and spouse, and my husband and I wanted to go out to dinner. I invited my friend over a little before dinner, just to catch up. As the four of us caught up on life, we walked around my house. I casually asked my friend
“If you could move a piece of furniture in this room, what would you move? Why?”
She looked at the room for a moment.
And then said that we could move a chair to a corner, to utilize space. Then she went with the next piece of furniture. And the next.
Soon, all four of us had moved the furniture around in the room, and it made total sense! It was a fun experience. It did not cost money, just a little bit of time.
- Get the moving sliders to put under the furniture to make it easier, and to protect your floors.
- If you like the way your friend arranged their furniture, ask for help!
- Wear comfortable clothing and tennis shoes.
- Make the experience one of fun, not of accusation or stress. Remember, it’s just furniture.
- Be open to new ideas.
- Be open to moving furniture around from one room to the next.
- Remember, all else fails, you can put it back.