2020 has brought so many unexpected unplanned events. Who knows, we could have a blizzard next week (LOL)!! Even though East Texas weather can feel like all four seasons in ONE DAY, as the weather is starting to get "cooler", it is important to consider the following.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Clean out gutters. Depending on your home height and steepness of the roof, you may consider having a professional do the job.
- Reverse ceiling fans. This is to reduce your energy usage, and save you money! When your heater is running, the reversed ceiling fan will push the warmer air from the ceiling to the floor.
- Trim tree branches away from roof. Not only is this to prevent branches from falling on your roof, but this also can help critters from accessing roof and attic.
- Have your Heating and Air Conditioning unit checked by a professional, and make necessary repairs.
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned out by a professional.
- Paint, caulk and seal exterior wood, doors, and windows. Check for air leaks in windows. The time you spend to do this now, will save you money in the future.
- Have your sprinkler system and yard drainage checked by a professional.
- Restock on winter weather essentials (salt, sand, and some even use kitty litter...).
The more you can do to prepare for the cooler/colder months, the better!