Pets are great! I have a dachshund named Greta and growing up, I have had many cats and dogs. I have shown property with some of the following animals: dogs, cats, birds, horses, pigs, goats, chickens, etc. Buyers, REALTORS, home inspector, surveyor, appraiser, etc. are going to be most likely walking through your home at some point. Home showings can range between 15-45 minutes (but this also depends on the person). Inspectors need several hours at your home to inspect the property. There needs to be a pet plan. The pet plan can change depending on your schedule, the amount of time that is needed, etc. But it is important that we, and possibly your veterinarian, communicate about what the pet plan is going to be.
Talk to Your Veterinarian
They know your pet well enough to know what some good solutions would be for your pet.
Pet Plan #1: Remove Pet Altogether
- Board your pet
- Leave pet at a family member/friend house
- Take a pet with you while your home is being shown (drive or walk)
Pet Plan #2: Contain Pet in Specific Area
- Kennel animal and include a note to leave your pet alone. Depending on the animal, of course, you could have the kennel in the laundry room, garage, closet, bedroom, backyard. While kenneling, please make sure you check the weather to see that it is not too hot or not too cold. Also, please make sure that your pet has plenty of water.
- Letting the animal roam in the laundry room, garage, closet, bedroom or backyard freely and include a note to leave your pet alone. Here is the thing, even with the note, there is a possibility that the buyer is going to open the door to peak (human nature). Even if your pet has never hurt a fly, determining how your pet is going to react to the buyer is not easy to predict.
Less Ideal Pet Plan Option: Let Your Pet Roam Freely Throughout Your Home.
What would happen if...
- Your pet escaped.
- If someone got injured due to your pet.
- If your pet got injured.
I have gotten bit before, and let me tell you, IT HURTS! I have known the pet for several years, and I thought “All pets love me! I am a pet person.” One of my family members, when they were younger, wanted to see a pet that went under the bed. Their face was injured pretty badly. Human behavior and pet behavior can change daily!
Pet Plan Can Be Customized for YOUR Family's Needs
Remember, what is your goal? Sell your home for the most money? Sell your home quickly? Having your home Camera Ready is work that needs to be done every day. You only get ONE time to make a great first impression.